The 2019 Retail Experience Score (RES) 100
In our first-ever RES 100, we measure 100 of the high street’s most established omnichannel retailers across six core areas.
Following our first-ever Retail Experience Score – the 2018 Fashion Sector Analysis – SHIFT has created this extended, cross-sector insight into the performance of omnichannel retailers in the UK, ahead of what may be the toughest year for modern British commerce.
In the first RES 100, we use a bespoke algorithm to score 100 retailers out of 100. The RES’ formula has been carefully crafted so that it can apply to any business that operates both online and offline channels. It follows on from – and is based on key findings of – our 2018 State of Omnichannel Retail Report, in which we discovered how important consumers deem specific services to be.
This 16-page report grades our chosen businesses on six key areas of the omnichannel experience:
- Standard delivery
- Store stock check
- Click and collect
- Next-day delivery
- Same-day delivery
From this, the 2019 RES 100 discovered some interesting insights which prove that the high street is wide open to best-in-class service, at a time when footfall continues to fall:
- Out of a possible 100, our highest-scoring retailer finished with 77.
- Just 9% of our retailers scored 50/100 or more.
- The average time taken for standard delivery is 4.4 days, and just 10% of retailers provide it for free.
- Only six businesses allow returns in all formats (store drop-off, postal, courier collection and drop-off point).
- Just one in every five retailers provide accurate and reliable store stock-check
- Under half (42%) offer a free click-and-collect service within 48 hours
- The average processing time of refunds is 13 days.
- Just three retailers offer same-day delivery.
As with all of our reports, we continue with our commitment to championing a brighter future for retail in the UK and beyond with free, fair and impartial insights for business owners, thought leaders and industry experts.
Download the free 2019 RES 100 by filling in the form on our reports page, where you can also check out the data used to compile our study. Alternatively, you can drop us a line to get hold of a free print copy courtesy of our team, or even request your own RES, if you’re an omnichannel retailer.
We’d also love to hear your feedback on our RES, and we’d be happy to answer any questions you may have about it. Simply send us an email to email@example.com and we’d love to speak with you.