The 2019 State of Retail Report
Building on the foundations of our 2018 State of Omnichannel Report, we spoke to 10,000 consumers to understand the demands of the modern British customer.
The 2019 State of Retail Report, available to download now, contains what we believe to be the largest consumer survey ever produced about the state of omnichannel retail in the UK. It follows research carried out in January 2019, when we asked over 11,000 British consumers what they believed to be the most important services that omnichannel businesses could offer in order to meet their expectations.
If you were to ask a group of experienced retailers how their customers want to shop with them across their channels it will, more often than not, spark a heated debate. This report hopes to guide these discussions towards a common conclusion and help organisations from all sectors respond to modern consumers.
This paper has used the 2018 State of Omnichannel Retail Report as a basis for an improved and even more insightful look into the evolving requirements of the average Briton visiting the high street or shopping online.
Across 16 pages, we break down the business offerings seen as most important by consumers, while asking more direct questions about the changes in retail over the last ten years – and how those have shaped opinion. Some of the more eye-opening statistics we discovered in this report include:
- 68.2% think the ability to check store stock online is “important” or “very important”.
- A massive 91% of consumers think click and collect must be free, while two in three (67.1%) would not shop with a company that charges for the service.
- 42.9% feel customer service has worsened over the last decade.
- 62.1% don’t think UK retailers are working hard enough to create a shopping experience worth the time and cost of visiting their stores.
- 68.1% believe social media engagement from a brand is not important.
As with all of our reports, we’re committed to encouraging a brighter future for British retail with these free, fair and impartial insights. You can download the 2019 State of Retail Report by filling in the form on our reports page, or get in touch to get hold of a free print copy courtesy of our team.
We’d also love to hear your feedback on this report, and we’re always more than happy to answer any questions you may have about it. Simply send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’d love to speak with you.